Effective Date: August 28, 2017
The website providencemutual.com is owned and operated by The Providence Mutual Fire Insurance Company, a Rhode-Island domiciled property and casualty insurer (referred to herein as “Providence Mutual,” “we,” “our” or “us”). Earning your trust is very important to Providence Mutual, so we take measures to protect the confidentiality, privacy and security of the information provided to us by our policyholders, agents, employees and others.
1. Information Collection.
We collect information from you in several ways, including when you choose to share information with us by entering it through our Website, through any postings that you may make, and by using automated processes. We also collect information about your transactions with us, such as your payment of bills and submission of claims.
(a) Information You Provide.
We may ask you and you may choose to provide certain “Personal Information” to us, which is information that identifies you personally, such as your first and last name, e-mail address, payment information, mailing and billing addresses, and telephone number. Please note that we use a third-party payment processor so we do not store information about your credit card when you submit online payment. If you choose to submit a claim online, we may require you to provide additional information, such as information about your insurance policy, including the policy number, and about the circumstances and events that led you to make an insurance claim. We may collect this information in a variety of places, including claim submission forms and our bill payment platform.
(b) Information About Third Parties.
If you submit a claim online, you may choose to provide us with information about third parties who were witness to or otherwise involved in the circumstances and events that led you to make an insurance claim. By submitting Personal Information about any third party, you represent and warrant to Providence Mutual that you have the consent of the third party to do so, and that the information you submit is factually accurate.
(c) Automated Information Collection.
In addition to any information that you choose to submit to us via the Website, we and our third-party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) store or collect certain information whenever you visit or interact with the Website (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information may be stored or accessed using a variety of technologies that may be downloaded to your Device whenever you visit or interact with our Website. To the extent we associate Usage Information with your Personal Information we collect directly from you on the Website, we will treat it as Personal Information.
This Usage Information may include:
· your IP address, UDID or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”). A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device used to access the Website, and our computers identify your Device by its Device Identifier;
· your Device functionality (including browser, operating system, hardware, mobile network information);
· the URL that referred you to our Website;
· the areas within our Website that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you and your preferences;
· your Device location;
· your Device characteristics; and
· certain other Device data, including the time of day, among other information.
Tracking Technologies. We may use various methods and technologies to store or collect Usage Information (“Tracking Technologies”). Tracking Technologies may set, change, alter or modify settings or configurations on your Device. A few of the Tracking Technologies include, without limitation, the following (and subsequent technology and methods later developed):
· Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a Device when it is used to visit the Website. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file placed on a Device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your Device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage.
· Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as “1x1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our Website’s pages and messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Website, to monitor how users navigate the Website, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to count how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
· Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Website, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your Device from our web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Website, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
· Browser Fingerprinting. Collection and analysis of information from your Device, such as, without limitation, your operating system, plug-ins, system fonts and other data, for purposes of identification.
· ETag, or Entity Tag. A feature of the cache in browsers. It is an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL. If the resource content at that URL ever changes, a new and different ETag is assigned. Used in this manner ETags are a form of Device Identifier. ETag tracking may generate unique tracking values even where the consumer blocks HTTP, Flash, and/or HTML5 cookies.
· Recognition Technologies. Technologies, including application of statistical probability to data sets, which attempt to recognize or make assumptions about users and devices (e.g., that a user of multiple devices in the same user).
· Tracking Technologies Usage. We may use Tracking Technologies for a variety of purposes, including:
· Targeting‑Related. We may use Tracking Technologies to deliver content relevant to your interests on our Website and third-party sites based on how you interact with our content. This includes using Tracking Technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the content that has been delivered to you.
2 Use of Collected Information.
3 Information Sharing.
(a) Co-Branded Areas.
We may provide certain parts of our Website in association with third parties, such as promotional partners. These “co-branded areas” will identify the third party. If you choose to use these co-branded areas, we may share your information with the identified third party, and that third party may also collect information from you, in addition to the information that we collect, as described above. You should review the privacy policies of those identified third parties to understand how they collect and use information.
(b) Interactions with Other Websites and Services.
Our Website may allow you to use your account from other online services, including social media providers like Facebook and Google. If you use accounts from other services on our Website, those third parties may share information about you with us, and we may share information that we collect with them. Our Website may also include features from third parties that allow you to interact with other online services, including social media. For example, we may use third parties to allow you to send messages, tweets, or make postings on social media sites, like Facebook. If you use these features, then we may share information about you with those third parties, and they may collect additional information. You should review the privacy policies for such third parties to understand how they collect and use information.
(c) Links to Third-Party Websites.
Our Website may include links to third-party websites or other online services. We are not responsible for these other sites and services, and they may collect and use information about you. You should review the privacy policies for such third parties before using their sites or services to understand how they collect and use information.
(d) Third-Party Tracking and Do Not Track.
4. Information Protection.
We use commercially reasonable and industry standard security technologies and safeguards to protect the information that we collect and use. For example, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for our registration and ordering functions, and we utilize a PCI-certified service provider to process credit card payments. We also expect our service providers to protect information in the same manner. However, no data transmission over the Internet, mobile networks, wireless transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed 100% secure. Please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us.
5. Changing Information and Communication Preferences.
6. Users Outside of the United States.
Our Website is operated in the United States and intended for users located in the United States. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States differ from those of other countries. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that the information that we collect will be transferred to and processed, stored, and used in the United States, and that by using our Website, you consent to such transfers and processing.
7. Children’s Privacy.
Our sites and applications are intended for general audiences, and we do not knowingly seek or collect personal information from children under the age of eighteen (18). In accordance with the Child Online Privacy Protection Act, in the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age thirteen (13) without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any personal information from or about a child, please contact us at 1-877-763-1800.
8. Contact Us.
If you have any questions or comments on the Website or become aware of misuse of the Website by any person, please contact us at:
340 East Avenue
Warwick, RI 02886
or via our toll-free number: 1-877-763-1800